Tonight, a blue moon will rise. But what does that actually mean?
I thought it only meant that it’s the second full moon of the month, but apparently there are more subtle definitions to it. Over at Space.com, they’ve compiled five amazing facts about the blue moon. These are:
- It’s not really blue (kinda obvious this one!)
- There are two definitions for blue moon.
- The blue moon has many names.
- It’s only full for a moment.
- It’s kind of a rare sight (next one in 2015!).
So if you can, take a peak outside tonight and look at the moon. Onwards!